Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Psychology of Poker - Book Review

I just finished reading the "Psychology of Poker," by Alan Schoonmaker. As an avid online and offline poker player and poker blogger, I read as many books as I can on the topic of poker. In my opinion, this is one of the greatest books ever written. This book really focuses on the psychology of the game and why players play like they do and why you play like you do. This book does not cover or basic skills.

The greatest thing about this book is that it skips the basics and focuses on the finer more subtle parts of the game. In my opinion, these are the things you need to know to be a champion. The book is full of original content and is written in a clear and concise fashion. The book is easy to understand and even though the author dives into some complex issues. I also like the chapter that discusses how to make strategic adjustments based on the types of players you are playing. The author has a Ph.D. in psychology and this is great because he is not like every other poker strategy expert, he gives you advice based on quantifiable scientific evidence.

The one drawback of the book is that it basically ignores the topic of online play. As online poker continues to become more popular, I am afraid this book will become less relevant.

In closing, I highly recommend this book for the intermediate to expert level poker player. What you learn will definitely improve your game.

No comments:

Post a Comment